The Lunar New Year is a time for celebration and good luck! Incorporating red into your CNY outfits is a great way to embrace the symbolism of the colour.
We’re excited to share some ideas for how to incorporate the inimitable vivacity of red into your CNY outfits. That includes rocking bold red pieces and adding more subtle accents. We’ll also offer tips for wearing red and celebrating cultural diversity in Malaysia. Read on for inspiration and guidance as you plan your CNY outfits!
The Lunar New Year is a time of celebration and renewal spent among family and loved ones. It’s also a great opportunity to show off your style and embrace long-held traditions! One key element of a successful CNY outfit is the colour red. Believed to bring good luck, prosperity, and happiness, the colour is synonymous with Chinese New Year! In light of that, we’re happy to share some ideas for incorporating red into your CNY wardrobe! How about rocking a bold red piece, or simply going the subtler route by adding accents? Read on for some inspiration and guidance as you plan your CNY outfits!
Related: Christmas Outfit Ideas for the Ultimate Holiday Look
The Symbolism of Red In CNY Outfits
An iconic colour in Chinese culture, red has many associations with good fortune, happiness, and prosperity. It is a common colour for traditional gifting and decorating, and is regarded as a symbol of luck. Red lanterns, red angpaus, and red paper cuttings are just some examples of how the colour pervades celebrations.
Top Tips To Bring Red Into Your CNY Wardrobe
There are many ways to incorporate red into your CNY wardrobe! Whether you’re going all-out with a bold red dress or taking the subtler route with simple accents, we’ve got you. Get started with these fresh, zesty ideas!
- Red dresses: A red dress is a classic choice for CNY! It’s a great way to make a statement and embrace the symbolism of the color. Look for a style that suits your personal taste and body type. We love flowing maxis, form-fitting midis, or playful minis.
- Red tops: If you want just a hint of red in your CNY outfit, a crimson statement blouse is a great option. You can pair it with neutral bottoms, like black or white jeans or a skirt. Alternatively, you can also mix and match different shades of red for a monochromatic look.
- Red skirts: Red skirts are another versatile way to add some CNY flair to your outfit. Dress them up or down depending on your aesthetic of choice and where you’re headed. Consider your plans and how you’ll be painting the town red! Your activities will inform your decisions, and you can play around with various tops and shoes to find your winning combination!
- Red accessories: If you’re uncertain about going full crimson, there are subtler ways to add the colour to your look. Consider incorporating jewelry like earrings, bracelets, necklaces, or even red scarves, bags, or hats. You can also incorporate red into your makeup, with bold red lipstick or nail polish.
Key Pieces For Your CNY Outfits That Will Make A Splash
In addition to the red pieces mentioned above, there are also a few key items that can add some traditional charm to your CNY wardrobe. These include:
- A red qipao or cheongsam: These traditional Chinese dresses have form-fitting silhouettes and intricate details, making them a stunning choice for CNY celebrations. Consider pairing your qipao or cheongsam with stiletto heels or other red accessories to really make an impression!
- Red sneakers or boots: If you’re looking for a more casual or edgy CNY outfit, consider adding some red sneakers or boots to your look. These can be paired with jeans, skirts, or dresses, and they add a pop of colour without being too formal.
- Red statement jewelry: A bold red necklace, bracelet, or a pair of earrings can add some drama to your CNY outfit! It’s also a great way to play up the symbolism of the colour. Look for pieces with unique designs or colorful gemstones to add an extra layer of interest.
Other Tips For Incorporating Red In Your CNY Outfits
If you’re planning to incorporate red into your CNY wardrobe, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Choose the right shade of red: There are many shades of red, each a perfect match for a different skin tone. It’s important to find the one that complements yours. Cooler shades like cherry or burgundy are recommended for those with fairer skin, whilst those with tanned complexion look great with warmer, browner tones like brick or rust.
- Pair red with complementary colours: Red looks great with neutral colors, such as black, white, or gray, but it can also be paired with other complementary colours. Give colour blocking a go by pairing red with green, purple, or yellow.
- Avoid colour clashes: Red is a bold colour that wants to stand out, and it’s important to make sure it doesn’t clash with an excess of other bold colours. If you’re wearing a red dress, for example, you might want to stick with neutral shoes and accessories, rather than adding other bright colors to the mix.
- Don’t go too over-the-top with red accents: If you’re adding red accents to your CNY outfit, it’s important to strike a balance. A little bit of red can go a long way, so try to avoid going too over the-top with red accessories or makeup.
The Lunar New Year is a time for celebrating traditions and embracing good luck, prosperity, and happiness. Incorporating red into your CNY wardrobe is a great way to embrace the symbolism of the colour and make a statement with your style. Whether you choose to go with bold red pieces or subtle accents, there are many ways to incorporate red into your CNY outfit. Just remember to choose the right shade of red, pair it with colours that complement it, avoid clashing with other bold colours, and don’t go too over the-top with red accents. With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to creating a stylish and festive CNY outfit that’s sure to impress!
Is your wardrobe CNY ready? What key pieces are you hoping to incorporate to make a fashion splash? Let us know in the comments below! Don’t forget to follow us on our social channels for more fun content, tips, and stories on your favourite local brands!